Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Spanish Rice

Growing up my Mom always made this Spanish Rice and it was so flavorful compared to the stuff at the restaurants that I can't even eat the other stuff. A friend of mine wanted the recipe so I thought I would post it on here. Unfortunately it is one of my few recipes that I don't have exact measurements for. So play with it a little. This is a perfect food storage recipe since it uses rice and tomato sauce, which are common food storage ingredients.

Spanish Rice
1/2 cup of rice
Diced onions
Diced Garlic
Bullion
2 to 3 cups water
Tomato sauce (big can or two small)
Black Pepper
Italian Seasoning
1 can of Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies or diced tomatoes

1. Brown rice, onion and garlic in oil in pan.
2. Add tomato sauce, water and seasonings.
3. Place lid on and simmer stirring often.
4. The rice and tomato sauce with be absorbed/cooked off. Add the can of diced tomatoes when it is almost all absorbed.
5. You can tell it is done, when the rice is soft. (maybe about 30 minutes).

So I used even more food storage because my family isn't too fond of onions so I just re hydrated about 1/8 of a cup of dehydrated onion flakes. Happy Cooking!
Since pictures sometimes are a great tool in understanding I have included some pictures below.

Browning rice, onions and garlicAdded sauce, water and seasonings.Simmer with lid on.What it should look like before adding diced tomatoes.After adding diced but before it is done...when it is done it should look like the before adding diced picture. Serving suggestion...or Green Enchiladas...Extra points for using Cannery Refried Bean Flakes!
I usually throw some Quinoa in too, but I didn't have any cooked and I already had too many dishes to clean....
Next POST...my favorite Zucchini Bread recipe

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I didn't know that you had started a different blog. Thanks for posting the spanish rice recipe, maybe I will make it tonight as we are planning on having tacos. I think having the pictures helps too-I'm a pretty visual person. The only thing that would maybe make it a little bit easier, and I don't know if this would necessarily be easier for you-but it would be nice to have a link to download a pdf to print. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete